Thursday, August 27, 2009

Butterfly Bushes

I dug out my Garden Journal & found out I bought 3 of these in Nov 05. They were gallon size & so nice & small when I bought them--who knew! I love these things, but oh my, the work! Every mid winter I prune them to 1/3 the size they are now. That's not a huge job, but because we recycle all my pruning, I cut everything in small pieces. Each of these bushes takes about 2-3 hours to completely prune. These bushes truly live up to their name---I see all kinds of varieties of butterflies all during the blooming season enjoying these bushes. Last year there was a butterfly migration through California. I didn't think much about it & didn't really read the article in the paper. One day I looked out my window & saw at least 100 butterflies flying by. It was spectacular---so once again, well worth the work.

No comments: